Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A "womb" with a view....

And so the planning, and purchasing has begun!

Baby Aidan got a major delivery today - his entire bedroom set of furniture was delivered! How something so little can provoke purses and wallets to open (and empty) so quickly, I will never know, but it is SO beautiful and I'm happy it is all finally here!


We had a fairly easy decision to make - what color wood, and what style in general - and that was it. We learned after several months of nursery furniture shopping when expecting Ava, exactly what we wanted out of childrens' furniture.... something durable, well-built, classic styling, and "non-babyish" design that will grow with them for several years.
My pet peeve among ALL pet peeves about baby products (and trust me, I have a lot!) is the furniture that is sold with a "convertible" crib, that turns into a full size bed, but the matching dresser has a telltale raised side that screams "CHANGING PAD GOES HERE!" Sooooo babyish! I can't stand that. Once they are to the point of sleeping in a full size bed, I surely hope the need for a changing pad is no longer. Hence my furniture dilemma.
This furniture met all of our high expectations - the dresser looks like a normal dresser, the chest of drawers looks like a normal chest of drawers. And best of all, it also does turn into a full size bed. Perfect! I'm hoping the next furniture item I'm buying for Aidan is his dorm room loft for college! Seriously.
It is a black wood, sort of "antique-y" with rubbed, distressed edges, smooth lines, and simple hardware. Very "boy" to me as well, which I love. And we are doing the room in a nautical theme... sailboats and shades of navy and slate blue. I can't wait until the hard work is over, and I'm posting pictures of the finished product!

No comments: