Sunday, July 6, 2008

A pothole in the road of life...

I debated whether or not to even blog about this topic. This blog is about my family, and although life with a toddler and a baby has its obvious ups and downs, for the most part this blog is extremely positive, showing the happiness and good times in our family. But for those family and friends that read this blog, I want to keep you all "in the loop" so to speak, because I got some bad news last week personally, but I can't imagine moving forward without the support from all of you who chose to offer it.

I saw my family doctor over a week ago, due to having a few episodes of chest pain, which was pretty alarming considering I'm only 27! Well, my doctor assured me she was "85% sure" it was just bad acid reflux, but also did an EKG in her office. Unfortunately, my EKG was abnormal, and she heard what sounded like a murmur when she listened to my heart, so she referred me to a cardiologist for some testing.

This past Tuesday, I went in for a cardiac echo (ultrasound of the heart) and a stress treadmill test. The good news is - the pain I was having WAS reflux, because after starting some meds for that, it has gone away, and my treadmill test was completely negative.

The bad news is, my resting echo showed my heart was abnormal. After another diagnostic test, the cardiologist told me I had an atrial septal defect which essentially is a hole in my heart, in between the 2 upper chambers. He is concerned because already, my heart is showing early signs of heart failure, because the right side of my heart is starting to enlarge (which happens because the heart muscle has to work harder to pump the blood that is being shunted the wrong way in the circulation of the heart), and once that happens, it can lead to pulmonary hypertension = high blood pressure in the vessels between the heart and lungs.

The good news (yes there is some!) is that I am very lucky to have this diagnosed now, considering my initial symptoms that led me to the cardiologist are not related to this defect. He told me a lot of people that have this start to have major problems once they reach their 40s and 50s, and by that time, the heart failure is very advanced and they can be very ill.

So the plan now includes a few things. Chris and I are meeting with Dr Robertson, the cardiologist who diagnosed me, this Thursday in his office, and then we will be scheduling a few additional tests. The first will be a TEE or transesophageal echo, to get a better look at the hole in my heart and see how big it is. The second will be a right heart catheterization to assess the level of heart failure by looking at the blood pressure on both sides of the heart, and looks for pulmonary hypertension by placing a catheter in the pulmonary artery in between the heart and lungs.

Once we have those 2 tests out of the way, we can decide which way would be the best option for closure of the defect. Luckily, there is a pretty new procedure that is FDA-approved, which involves placing a closure device in a cath lab procedure, similar to the process of a balloon angioplasty or a cardiac stent. And unfortunately, if that procedure is not an option for us, then we are faced with needing to do open heart surgery to patch the hole directly. Several things will determine which route we will take - the size of the hole, primarily, as well as how much damage there is to my heart and blood vessels.

So now, we wait. One appointment at a time, one procedure at a time. Obviously this news came as a huge shock to me, and our family too, but it is out of my hands. I am trusting that I am in excellent, capable hands of a great cardiologist who will fix this, and I know that I am lucky to have this diagnosed now before further complications came up. All I can ask is that you keep me, and my family, in your thoughts and prayers, and I will keep you updated.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Karin. I am so sorry you are going through this. Like you said it is good that you found out now and not down the road. Not news that you want to hear though. I am sure you are in great hands. I will definately keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully it is easy to fix and doesn't require major surgery. Keep us updated.

((HUGS))
Amy

Anonymous said...

Karin. Wow. I don't know what to say. I am really glad you found out now. If I can help you at all let me know! I will certainly be a shoulder or an ear if nothing else!
-andrea

bev said...

I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers Karin.
Brandi

Anonymous said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers Karin!

Jenn said...

HUGS Karin! I'm so sorry you were dealt with this. But you know, you're young and healthy, they've caught this early on...you have so much on your side right now. Including the thoughts and prayers of so many who care for you!

I'll be praying for you girl!!

Stephanie said...

Oh sweetie, I cannot even imagine. I'm praying for you and I'm beyond glad that you found out at the age you did what was going on. I'm hoping for the best. Please keep us updated as we are all concerned.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Karin,
I wanted to wish you luck and some reassurance. Four years ago, when I was not quite 50, I had the same diagnosis. My cardiologist also told me that my heart was enlarged and I could have heart failure in the coming years unless I acted. After doing research and talking to a cardiac surgeon, I decided to have an Amplatzer device implanted in my heart to close the hole rather than undergo open-heart surgery. The procedure was not difficult at all and left no mark. My cardiologist has told me that I no longer have blood shunting between the atria and that the size of my heart has returned to normal. I hope you'll have similar good results.
--Ruth

Anonymous said...

Karin - I've been thinking of you since first reading this post. Like everyone else, you certainly have my prayers. Like your title - I know this will be just a pot hole in your life that you'll move right past! Good luck and keep up posted!

Nicole said...

Wow....that's a lot to take in. You are totally facing this with the right attitude (IMO) - one day at a time/one appt. at a time. My prayers are with you as you search for answers.