Wednesday, November 7, 2007

28+ week Dr's Appointment Update

I had my 28-week checkup today seeing Dr. Box, my OB. On the agenda was my glucose-tolerance test to screen for gestational diabetes, and bloodwork to check for anemia.

First of all, I'm no newbie to this - I remember it when I was pregnant with Ava not too long ago. And I remembered hearing moms around me warning me about the dreaded glucose test (which, for those of you who arent familiar, involves drinking a very sugary drink pretty quickly, then getting blood drawn an hour later to check your blood glucose levels to determine your reaction to the sugar). Everyone said "Oh gawd, that stuff you have to drink was awful!" And then I had the test - and I thought "Maybe I'm crazy, or I just have one hell of a sweet tooth!" The drink really wasn't that bad... like an icy cold orange Crush soda. Yum!

But this time around... holy moly, what happened to my orange soda?? The lab tech has me sit down, and she runs to get the sugary drink and comes back and hands me a very medical-looking 10 oz. plastic bottle, which I soon discover is not-quite-cold-enough fruit punch flavored CRAP. It tastes very sweet, very medicine-y... it took all of my "I-just-fasted-for-8-hours" grit to choke it down. Blech. I miss my orange soda. Sigh...

My OB did my checkup... I gained back the few pounds I lost at my last appointment (damn Halloween candy!!) but my weight gain is still on the low side, which is great for me. My BP was on the higher side for me, 130s/80s, so she just said we will keep an eye on it. Baby is still measuring several weeks ahead, so maybe that is just how he is going to be! And I've been having contractions already, which I never had with my first pregnancy. After some quick instructions to take it easy, and stay hydrated, I got a clean bill of health and I'm free for another 2 weeks.

Oh yeah... and a blood draw. Really not bad at all, thank goodness I have decent veins! So cross your fingers for decent blood counts and NO gestational diabetes!! I should have results by early next week.

No comments: